Sunday, November 16, 2014

Weeknight Meal #3: Oven-Fried Chicken

In my family, we had the tradition of everyone picking their favorite meal on their birthday, and my mom would make it especially for that day (or the following weekend). I'm a meat and potatoes type of girl (that loves veggies, too), so my dad always had a hand in cooking my meal. But, my brothers? They always requested my mom's famous fried chicken. And I have to say, she makes the best fried chicken of anyone I know. I've tried to replicate it a few times, and I've failed miserably. It's one of those, "I'm just going to ask her to teach me how to do that," kinda things because I keep trying, but it doesn't taste like hers.

The downside to having good 'ole fried chicken are those horrible calories that are quadruple the amount that you should have, right? So, I decided to try this recipe that my friend recommended: Oven-Fried Chicken. Almost the same, great taste (even as my mom's!) with a lot less calories. Plus, less work! It's become a staple meal at our house, and after trying it, I'm sure you'll add it to your rotation, too.



OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN
Serves 4

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts, cut in strips
4-5 tbsp butter
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp paprika

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place butter on a large baking sheet and place in the oven to melt.
2. Combine all ingredients besides chicken in a large ziploc bag. Add the chicken and shake to coat.
3. Take your baking sheet out of the oven once the butter has melted (should only take about 3-5 minutes at most), and place you chicken on it, leaving spaces between each strip.
4. Bake 10-12 minutes, flip with a pair of tongs, and bake another 10-12 minutes.
5. Check to make sure chicken is cooked entire way through either with meat thermometer or by cutting into middle. If not completely cooked through, bake another 5-10 minutes, turning over half way.
6. Remove to a plate lined with a paper towel, and soak up any excess grease. 
7. Serve and devour! :) 

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes

Adapted from here!

We usually serve it with green beans and mashed potatoes, but the possibilities are endless with this meal. With this dish, you'll forget all about making real fried chicken!


Remember: Tomorrow is the last day to enter the Christmas Book Giveaway! If you haven't entered yet or don't feel like you have someone to gift them to, consider giving them to an Adopt-An-Angel program at Christmastime! You'll make one (or a few) children's days!

 photo blog2_zpse65e9159.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I look forward to hearing from you! -Gen

Much Love!

Much Love!

Share