Wednesday, August 20, 2014

"We're here for RSL!"

This weekend was probably one of the busiest weekends I’ve had since moving. We’ve had something going on every day from Wednesday yesterday. I’ve loved every second of it! I’m absolutely exhausted (had to pry myself out of bed today), but it’s been great to be so busy. That’s exactly what I longed for when we moved here! I’ve always had a jam-packed schedule before, and I am the most productive when I am living that sort of lifestyle. Call me crazy, but it’s the best.

Wednesday, my husband called me as I was getting ready to leave work and asked if I wanted to go see “Into the Storm” at the movie theater with him. A mid-week date: umm, of course!?! It was great. Terrifying if you’ve been as close to a tornado as I have (I lived basically in the middle of Tornado Alley, and my family still does), but it did a great job of showing how scary and horrific it can be. Hopefully people will watch this and plan for those types of events! Thursday and Friday were filled with work and hanging out with friends (see last post for pictures!). Saturday, my husband and I went to the Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle Sounders MLS game! I bought the tickets as a birthday gift for him a couple of months ago, and we’ve been looking forward to it ever since. I’ve never been to a professional soccer game before, so I was excited to see what it was like. I definitely want to go back. The energy in the crowd is incredible, and though we wanted the Sounders to win (the husband is from Washington), you couldn’t help but cheer for Real Salt Lake, too! Right before the game started, the fire/emergency alarm went off a few times in a row, and we were a little worried about it. But NO ONE moved. Die-hard fans, I would say! I’m glad they finally figured out what was going on and started the game, though!



I was amazed at some of the traditions the fans have at Rio Tinto Stadium. First of all, they sing this chant several times at the beginning of the game and then again if anyone scores. Everyone is on cue, and it sounds amazing with all of the booming loud voices throughout the stadium!

“If you believe then just stand up on your feet.
And shout it loud ‘REAL!’
Here at the riot the battle hymn’s begun.
We’re here for RSL!”



Also, when they announce the RSL players’ names, the announcer only says the first name, and the crowd shouts out the last name. Intense energy levels for sure. :) And I thought football games were exciting! I know quite a bit about football; soccer, not so much…


The only thing I would change about that game is the heat! Ugh, if we could have picked a day that wasn’t 95 degrees and sun bearing straight down on us, that would have been amazing. As it was, we had to keep buying water and Gatorade just to not dehydrate! A fan behind us had the brilliant idea to bring a camelback backpack for his family. Technically still bringing drinks into the stadium, but it looks like a normal backpack, so who’s to stop him? Genius. I’ll have to remember that for next time!


The score was 0-0 at the half, but as soon as the 2nd period started, RSL scored and then scored again. If you want to know what crazy soccer fans are like, be in the middle of the home team’s fans when their team scores on the best ranked team in the country twice. Everyone was screaming and chanting! So much excitement! The Sounders finally scored later in the game and almost scored again to tie it, but unfortunately, no such luck. That’s ok, though! We might as well become RSL fans since we’re living here! :)



It was a great day, and it was made even better when we took Honey to the lake up in the mountains again that evening. Beautiful ending to a beautiful day! Sunday, we went to see “Wicked on Broadway!” I’ll write more about that incredible experience tomorrow!

Hope you all had as exciting of a weekend as we did!


Love always,

 photo blog2_zpse65e9159.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I look forward to hearing from you! -Gen

Much Love!

Much Love!

Share